Electrolysis & Skin Center
Preparing For Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Follow these guidelines unless your
laser technician directs otherwise.
What to Expect During Your
Laser Hair Removal Appointment
Following the consultation, if we determine you are a good candidate, we will proceed with treatment. Your laser technician will begin by asking a few pertinent questions about your recent health history to ensure there are no contraindications for treatment. The technician will discuss your treatment desires and at that time you can specifically let us know what hair you want removed. We can even offer you a white eyeliner pencil so you can draw where you would like the laser hair removal to start and end. The treatment area will be cleansed and prepared for treatment. Your technician will talk you through the treatment to ensure you won’t experience any surprises.
While receiving laser hair removal, you will be required to wear protective eye-wear. You may still be able to see a flash of light, but your eyes will be completely covered. The laser technicians wear protective eye-wear, as well. During the treatment, all areas of the body that will not be lasered will be covered with clothing. Only the areas to receive laser treatment will be exposed. We are always mindful of your comfort and your peace of mind; we will let you know ahead of time what to expect.
VIRTUALLY PAINLESS HAIR REMOVAL
Our most advanced diode laser yet, delivering outstanding results at
unmatched comfort for all skin types.
All SKIN TYPES
Offering safe and effective treatments for all skin types.
Clinically proven and FDA approved, the Fast & Painless mode is safer and more comfortable than ever before.
Faster treatments for small and large body parts.
With Milo the melanin meter, it’s safe and easy to set personalized treatment parameters.
Integrated contact cooling for maximum comfort.
ADVANCE TIP COOLING TECHNOLOGY
The “Frame & sapphire” technology, which cools the treatment tip at
4° Celsius, increases patient comfort by significantly reducing the risk of burns during treatment. By using the entire surface of the treatment tip, the “Frame & Sapphire” technology creates a more homogeneous cooling which keeps the skin cooled permanently and efficiently.
After Your Laser Hair Removal Treatment
• It is normal to experience redness and swelling in the treatment area following laser hair removal. This may persist for several days. The treated area may feel like a razor burn or sunburn for a few hours after treatment. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone or aloe vera may be used to alleviate redness and irritation.
• Hair in the treated area will slowly shed, typically over the course of two weeks. Patchiness of hair growth is normal, and will dissipate towards the completion of your laser hair removal treatment series.
• Improper post-treatment care, including excessive heat or sun exposure of the treated area, may increase the chance of scarring, pigmentation changes and skin texture changes. It is imperative that you avoid excessive heat in the treatment area, such as hot tubs, sauna’s or working out for 24 hours after laser hair removal treatment. Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area, and do not use UV tanning beds at all for two weeks after treatment.
• Use a broad-spectrum sunblock with an SPF of 45 or above on a daily basis (rain or shine).
• Do not use any topical products that cause photosensitivity (e.g. hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinols, and benzoyl peroxide) in the treatment areas for three days after treatment. Use a gentle cleanser and lotion on treated areas.
• Do not have Botox injections, dermal filler injections, chemical peels or microdermabrasion in the treatment area for at least 14 days after laser hair removal.
• If you have any concerns or questions, please call our office at (774) 340-8459
Is laser hair removal permanent?
Laser hair removal at Grafton Electrolysis and Skin Center is FDA-cleared for permanently hair reduction anywhere on the face or body where smooth skin is desired. Some hair follicles are stimulated only by changes in hormone levels. Laser hair removal treatments do not prevent new hair growth in those follicles. Patients may experience hair regrowth from various hormone related causes, such as pregnancy or hormone changes related to aging.
Permanent hair reduction has become one of the most common procedures offered by medical aesthetic clinics today. According to the “American Society for Dermatologic Surgery” in the U.S., hair removal procedures were one of the top five non-surgical procedures in 2019.
Our laser offers a unique combination of the latest, fast, effective light-based treatments the Clinical Magma Platform has diode laser, Nd:YAG and IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) applications all in one device.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
During laser hair removal treatment, the laser used to remove the hair puts off tiny amounts of radiation that cling to the hairs in the area treated by your technician. The laser has a single wavelength of light that travels to focus on the area being treated, giving a concentrated burst of radiation that is otherwise unharmful, unless you are a hair follicle.
When the melanin in our hair absorbs the radiation given off from the laser, it heats it up and burns the follicle underneath the skin, causing it to become damaged and resulting in a long term or permanent hair loss.
The best thing about laser hair removal is that it doesn’t have to target one single hair at a time, unlike electrolysis. It targets a small area but still will attack several strands at a time.
Will laser hair removal work on my skin?
It doesn’t matter what skin type or tone you have as long as the hair is somewhat dark. Red, blonde, white and grey hair have less pigment and are not picked up by the laser. If you are unsure if the treatment will work for you it is always best to come in for a consult.
As long as the hair you are looking to target is dark, laser hair removal offers a permanent reduction of hair. Laser hair removal is not a perfect science, therefore results may vary but generally speaking one can expect a 70 to 90 percent reduction after 8 to 10 treatments.
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
While everyone’s pain tolerance is different, the majority of clients do not think it is painful. Our patients report that treatment with our lasers is much more comfortable than other lasers and far more comfortable than waxing. They feel a pinch or a rubber band snap. Our lasers are equipped with a DCD (Dynamic Cooling Device) that makes the treatment both comfortable and safer to the skin than other lasers.